This article aims to answer the age old question, “should I get eyelash extensions or should I just stay with falsies?” Before this question can be answered, a brief definition of both is required since they can be used interchangeably. But, believe me they are completely different.
A lot of things factor in to the difference between eyelash extension and false eyelashes. Factors such as how to use them, their function, the procedure, the budget, the lasting power, how natural it looks, all factor in to the equation when deciding to get an eyelash extension or to just stick with the false eyelashes.
Eyelash extensions require procedure to be done by a skilled esthetician. This requires the tedious process of gluing either synthetic, silk or mink lashes beside the real lashes, making it look like they are one and the same.
False eyelashes however can be bought anywhere, either at a drug store or at a department store. When you buy false eyelashes they come as a strip or row of synthetic hair. You then glue this strip of hair unto your eyelash area.
How to Use?
The procedures in both differ greatly. In eyelash extensions, it is necessary to have a professional do it. This also means that eyelash extensions cost a whole lot more that false eyelashes. As to the time it takes to put it on, eyelash extensions are semi-permanent but initially take two hours to put on. False eyelashes however, depending on how good you are, can take you 1 to 10 minutes to put on.
The eyelash extension can last you up to a year if you maintain it properly which means coming back to the salon every few weeks or so. False eyelashes however, have to be changed daily. That’s right. Daily. It is not advisable to sleep with your false eyelashes on since this can cause an infection to develop on your eyes.
How it Works?
Quintessentially, they both have the same function. They both aim to provide a cosmetic benefit. Through both eyelash extensions and false eyelashes, you can get full, dark, lush, long and voluminous to those that are sadly not blessed with it. So at least they’re tied in that regard. Certain criterion has to be pointed out in order to tell the difference between the two.
- Time – You need to schedule your eyelash extension treatment since it can take up to 2 hours of your time. False eyelashes only take 1 to 10 minutes in the morning. The difference though lies in the fact that after the initial treatment in eyelash extensions, will need 0 seconds in the morning when you fix your eyelashes since you wake up and they’re already gorgeous.
- Money – Eyelash extensions are quite expensive. They can range from $100 to $250 dollars. False eyelashes on the other hand are dirt cheap and can be bought absolutely anywhere.
- Weight – The eyelash extension was created to become identical to the natural hair. Which means it is just as light as natural hair. False eyelashes however, can be a bid heavy considering the strip laid flat on your eyelid disrupts the natural movement of the eyes.
- Natural Look – Eyelash extensions are made in the exact image of eyelashes. They are even glued next to the natural eyelashes to make them look like they’re blending in. False eyelashes however, can look stiff and unnatural.
- Lasting Power – Eyelash extensions can last up to a year if properly maintained every few weeks or so. False eyelashes can be used for up to a week until they fall apart.
- Durability – The chances of your eyelash extensions noticeably falling off of your face is highly unlikely. In the case of false eyelashes, this happens too many times. This is because of the fact that all of the fake lashes are connected to the strip. Once the strip’s adhesive loosens, the whole false eyelash falls apart.
- Activities – The only limitation when it comes to eyelash extensions is that you can’t swim or engage in any activity that requires you to sweat profusely for the first 48 hrs and after that, you’re free to do whatever you want. In case of false eyelashes, you can do any of these activities if you have fake eyelash on.
- Damages to Natural Lashes – In both cases as long as you don’t tug on your eyelashes and you make it a point to gently remove* makeup, then there will be minimal damage to you lashes.
The fact that eyelash extensions and false eye lashes have the same function automatically have people instantly confused as to which is which. However, they differ in so many ways. Hopefully by now you can see the difference and you have weighed the pros and cons and can now decide on whether to get false eyelashes or eyelash extensions.