Due to different and varying factors, eyelashes can become thin, weak or even start to shed. These factors can either be an allergic reaction, it can also be telling of an underlying sickness but sometimes it is just part of the aging process which means that it is only natural for our bodies to start doing it.
What are the Issues Related to Eyelash Problems?
There are mainly 3 problems that plague people when it comes to their eyelashes. These are, the weakening of the eyelashes (breakage), loss of eyelashes and thinning of the eyelashes. Weakening of the eyelashes means that due to different factors, the hair on your eyelashes have become so brittle and so dry that they have started to suffer from breakage. Eyelash loss however means the slow or sudden hair fall in your eyelash area. Eyelash thinning, which usually occurs with age, means that the hair follicles in your eyelashes have slowed the production of lashes or have stopped altogether.
Measures to Prevent Them
The good news is, there are a lot of ways that you can prevent these eyelash related problems so that you can keep you long, lush, voluminous and healthy lashes for an even longer period of time. Here are just some of the precautionary measures you can take to ensure the health of your beautiful lashes.
- Take vitamins and supplements that aid* the natural growth and help maintain the health of your current set of eyelashes. Vitamins such as Vitamin H, C, E and B6 do exactly just that. They prevent the eyelashes from becoming damaged, dry and brittle. It is of utmost importance that you observe healthy eating even when you are dieting as deficiency of any of these vitamins can be detrimental to the health of your eyelashes
- Conditioning your eyelashes every night before going to sleep is also a great way to keep your lashes hydrated and healthy. You can choose from different conditioners such as castor oil, coconut oil, petroleum jelly or you can opt for eyelash conditioners which are especially formulated for your eyelash area
- It’s always good to use organic and hypoallergenic makeup. These products contain only a fraction, if any, of the chemicals that other more potent makeup products have.
- Always remember to wash your face before going to sleep. Having makeup on your eyelashes for prolonged periods of time is extremely unhealthy and could cause damage to your eyelashes
- It is important to be gentle on your eyelashes as tugging can cause eyelash loss. When using makeup products or eyelash curlers be careful not to tug you lashes too hard. Also, when removing* stubborn waterproof mascara, be gentle in removing* it. Just reapply your eye makeup remover instead of just applying once but rubbing a bit too hard to remove* the makeup
Is There any Best Remedy to Get Rid Of It?
The best remedy to eyelash problems is to remember to condition them at least twice a week. This not only fixes and rehydrates damaged and weak eyelashes but it also protects* the healthy ones, encouraging them to grow to their full potential. Just leave coconut oil, castor oil or petroleum jelly on your eyelashes every night and remove* them in the morning. This is a sure fire way to heal and protect* your eyelashes. As they say, it’s like hitting two birds with one stone!
If your eyelashes are not improving* it is best to set an appointment with your dermatologist. Your eyelash problems may be hiding a more serious medical problem that needs immediate care.
What are Dermatologist Tips to Get Rid of Eyelash Problems?
Dermatologist Jeannette Graf, MD, of Great Neck, N.Y. recommends to be careful in tugging your lashes and when using an eyelash curler. Always remember to be gentle to this sensitive area. Graf also recommends removing* mascara before sleeping since the stiffness of the mascara can cause your lashes to break apart. In removing* mascara always remember to pat, never pull or tug at your lashes to remove* makeup. Another tip when putting on mascara is to avoid pulling clumps from dry mascara. It is better* to remove* or comb through clumps when the mascara freshly applied. Doctor Graf also recommends conditioning your lashes since this restores the moisture in your lashes. It hydrates your lashes after a long day of being slathered on with mascara.
Eyelash problems are certainly common but the great thing is they are avoidable and can be treated immediately. However it is always better* to apply preventive measures now than having to suffer later on when you are a little bit older. Although eyelash problems are hard to avoid when you reach a certain age it does not mean that you cannot do anything about it. Using the tips in this article, you could prolong the health of your gorgeous eyelashes.