Dental hygiene is very important. It makes us healthier, and it’s simply more appealing. Having a great smile isn’t a complicated task and you can achieve it in 7 easy steps. This article will show you how to have a better smile with 7 steps.
1. Brush Regularly
Brushing teeth is the most crucial part of your dental hygiene. When you’re brushing teeth, you’re actually removing* food particles that bacteria feed on, you also clean your teeth and provide them with freshness. In order to have better smile you should brush your teeth properly. Brushing properly may seem silly because it is something we have learned in our childhood, but the fact is – most people do not brush their teeth properly. The right brushing technique is:
- Place the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to your gums
- Gently move your toothbrush back and forth in short strokes
- You should brush inner surfaces, outer surfaces, and chewing surfaces of your teeth
- In order to clean the inner surfaces of the front teeth, you should tilt the brush vertically and make a few up-and-down strokes
- Brush your tongue.
- Brush your teeth between 2 and 3 minutes, three times per day.
When it comes to brushing teeth, try not to make these very common mistakes:
- Do Not Choose Inadequate Toothbrush – Quality toothbrush leads to good dental hygiene. Do not choose toothbrush that is too stiff because it can damage your gums. When you’re purchasing toothbrush think about the size of your mouth. If you feel like you would have to strain to open wide enough so the toothbrush can fit in, it is definitely too big for you.
- Do Not Overdo It – It is recommended to brush teeth two times per day, but according to experts three times every day is ideal. You shouldn’t brush your teeth more than three times per day because you can wear out enamel and damage your gums.
- Do Not Rely Solely On Whitening Toothpastes – High level of whitening particles in toothpastes can sand off tooth structure. According to experts, you should use the old-fashioned fluoride toothpaste. In case you want whiter teeth, you can switch between toothpastes, as long as you don’t use whitening toothpaste all the time.
2. Whiten Your Teeth
If you want to have teeth like movie star, then you can achieve it by whitening your teeth. With the advance of technology you can whiten your teeth quickly and the procedure won’t damage your teeth. Also, there are various products on the market for whitening your teeth. Of course, before you decide to whiten your teeth or purchase teeth whitener, you should consult your dentist first.
3. Floss Daily
Flossing is another essential part of the dental hygiene. This process removes* bacteria that resides between your teeth and which toothbrush is unable to reach. It is recommended to floss twice a day. However, if you do it once a day then make sure you floss your teeth before going to bed. Why? It is because when you sleep you produce less saliva and your teeth and gums are vulnerable to bacteria at that time.
4. Eat Healthy Food
It is important to eat healthy food and stay away from unhealthy diet, snacks, and carbonated drinks which can form cavities and discolor your teeth. Your diet plan should contain a lot of dairy products and other calcium-rich foods. Calcium helps your teeth stay strong, and other vitamins can protect your gums from infections, and your mouth and tongue from canker sores.
If you feel the need to eat candies or carbohydrate-rich foods then make sure you brush your teeth right after, or rinse your mouth with water. Leftover food behind your teeth turns into acid which leads to cavity.
5. Visit Your Dentist Regularly
Regular visits to your dentists are one more step towards having a better and prettier smile. You should visit the dentist at least twice a year for thorough dental cleaning. Your dentist will check up your teeth thoroughly and they can notice signs of gum disease, various mouth infections, or cavities and recommend proper treatment before the condition gets worse.
If you are prone to cavities or gum disease, then you should visit the dentist every four months.
You can even check the gums and teeth by yourself from time to time. Look for tenderness, puffiness, redness, or if you notice some bleeding. If you notice change in your gums, visit your dentist sooner and tell them what you saw.
6. Do Not Smoke
Smoking is bad for your overall health and naturally, it is bad for your teeth too. Smoking can cause gum disease and chewing tobacco can cause oral cancer. Plus, smoking and chewing tobacco can contribute to the awkward bad breath.
You May Also Like: Can Chewing Gum Causes Wrinkles?
7. Consider Cosmetic Procedure
If you have a missing tooth, crooked teeth, or discolored teeth, then you should consider cosmetic procedure. For example, porcelain veneers can give you pearly whites that will make you look like a celebrity. However, you should bear in mind that some dental cosmetic procedure can be expensive and you should consult a highly reliable dentist before you decide to undergo any procedure.
Healthy and pretty smile is very important not just for our health but the confidence as well. Everyone can have a gorgeous smile by following a few easy steps that only require adequate dental hygiene routine.