Overview on Colonic Treatments
Colon is the major part of the lower digestive system. The colon is crucial in getting rid of waste and toxic substances. Many abnormalities may lead to a problem in this important function; reestablishing this function again is the major purpose of using different colonic treatments. We are going to discuss different types of available colonic treatments.
Colonic irrigation Definition:
Colonic irrigation is the using of water to flush out the toxic substances from the colon. It’s also known as colonic hydrotherapy. This procedure is done by specialized personnel known as colonic hydro-therapists
It’s important to get a full medical history before doing colonic irrigation. The procedure itself is very simple; you will be on your side while water will pass through your colon via a special tube to flush out the toxic substances from it. It usually takes not more than 40 minutes to be done
Colonic Irrigation Benefits:
Many people do colonic irrigation and they find it useful but till now there is no strong evidence about the efficacy of this procedure in treating the colon conditions.
Contraindications of Colonic Irrigation:
Following are some important contraindications of having colonic irrigation:
- Any active colonic infections
- Any active forms of inflammation; for example, ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, diverticulitis.
- Any painful anal fissures.
- Hemorrhoids that causes pain
- Serious problems in the heart
- Uncontrolled hypertension
- Serious problems in the kidney
- Cirrhosis of the liver
- Pregnant women in the first trimester; which is the first 20 weeks
- Pregnant women with any pregnancy related complications
Laxatives are those medications which are used to empty the colon via causing diarrhea, especially if the patient is complaining from constipation. They are available everywhere even in the supermarkets as they are considered as one of the over the counter medications. You can also use a colon health supplement which can also work as a laxative such as Zenwise Health Digestive Enzymes. It might help cleanse your colon from all the toxins in your body.
Keep those Points in your Mind about Laxatives
It’s very important to keep the following points in your mind before using laxatives:
- Laxatives are still drugs and being bought over the counter doesn’t mean that they are 100% safe; they have some side effects that you have to know before using it
- Laxatives must be used by children unless they have been prescribed by the doctor
- Laxatives are not safe to use if you have some diseases in your bowel; for example, ulcerative colitis, or Crohn’s disease
- Read the information on the patient leaflet carefully before using the laxative, it’s very important to know the possible side effects and the precautions
There are four major types of laxatives:
- Osmotic laxatives, those laxatives increase the water content of the stool thus making it softer
- Stimulant laxatives, those are working on the muscles of the colon to stimulate it thus increasing the speed of its movement
- Bulk-forming laxatives, those are basically fibers; they increase the stool’s bulk and make it more likely to retain fluid
- Stool softener laxatives, those lubricate the stool by adding more water thus making it slippery to pass out easily
Surgery in the colon is the main treatment used for colon cancer. After the development of different screening program for colon cancer, it’s very possible to diagnose it early when the colon surgery will be curative.
The surgery in the setting of colon cancer concentrates on removing the affected part of the colon with safe margins around it. This is known as surgical resection of the colon. This surgery is usually done via a large incision in the wall of the belly, cutting off the affected part of the colon, then establishing a reconnection on it.
Foot detox is a new term which we heard about in different types of media. It’s a way to get rid of the toxins accumulated in the digestive system; mainly the colon, via applying special techniques on the feet. Many consider foot detox one of the best methods for detoxification as its safe, easy, and cheap. Lots of people feel much better after doing this type of detoxification. Many forms of foot detox are available in the markets; for example, pads, baths, and spas. Foot detox can be electric or homemade.
1. Pads for Foot Detox:
They are also known as foot detox patches. Most foot detox pads are made of natural extracts from bamboo and trees. The idea of foot detox pads is Japanese in origin. The instructions for usage are very simple, just apply it to your feet before sleeping and remove it in the morning. Once you remove the pad, you will notice the dark color over it.
2. Baths for Foot Detox:
Foot detox baths depend on the idea of ionic detoxification of the body via your feet. Simply, they produce negative ions and positive ions via an electrical process in warm salted water.
Many herbal supplements have been used for colon treatment but only few of them have been examined for their effect and side effects. Following are some examples of those herbal supplements:
- Aloe vera
- Butternut bark
- Red clover
- Red raspberry
- Slippery elm
One of the Most Common Remedy
Using butter bark as a laxative is a historical homemade herbal supplement. It’s very useful in treating constipation, hemorrhoids, venous congestion, and some types of dermatitis.
Many diseases can affect the colon leading to a problem in its normal function; reestablishing this function again is the major purpose of using different colonic treatments. Colonic irrigation is the using of water to flush out the toxic substances from the colon. It’s also known as colonic hydrotherapy.
Laxatives are those medications which are used to empty the colon via causing diarrhea, especially if the patient is complaining from constipation. Surgery in the colon is the main treatment used for colon cancer.
Foot Detox is a new way to get rid of the toxins accumulated in the digestive system; mainly the colon, via applying special techniques on the feet. Many herbal supplements have been used for colon treatment but only few of them have been examined for their effect and side effects. One of them is the butter bark.