Both black and green tea is prepared from a shrub called Camellia Sinensis, though with different processing methods. Besides withering of leaves, rolling and heating them, black tea is also fermented before the last stage of heating is done. Since ancient times, the fragrant leaves of Camellia Sinensis plant have since been brewed into a health drink for medicinal reasons. You can find this sensational beverage in your local supermarket in a section labeled black tea. Tea, whether black or green, is associated with a plethora of health benefits. Some of the common benefits of tea include healthy bones, lower risk of bones, and provision of antioxidants into the body, oral health, and better heart rate, healthy digestive tract, lowering of stress and acting as a happiness factor.
Black Tea and Bone Health
In a recent study in Japan, researchers discovered that black tea is good for bone health and can be used to treat osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is a condition that affects the old people and has proved to be a real menace to such individuals suffering from this condition.
According to these scientists, a humble brew of black tea contains antioxidants that are responsible for preventing the loss of bone density commonly associated with old people. This is a condition that makes the old people vulnerable to fractures. This latest news is the latest claim showing that black tea could be having more health benefits than just being a normal beverage.
Lead by Keizo Nishikawa, researchers at Osaka University found out that black tea contains theaflavin-3 (TF-3), the antioxidant, which works by hindering the function of an enzyme known as DNA methyltransferase, which is known to destroy bone tissue. This research was published in the online the US journal Nature Medicine, an online edition, and it found out that those mice that were suffering from osteoporosis and were administered with TF-3 all showed high levels of recovering on bone volume, something that was similar to those of healthy mice.
Note: though this is good news for osteoporosis patients, they must consume like 60 cups of tea in a period of three days so as to achieve any noticeable changes.
Below is a list of things you need to know about consuming black tea:
- Excessive consumption of black tea can interfere with the absorption of iron.
- Excessive consumption of black tea may lead to staining your teeth. Consider using whitening products while using black tea.
- Remember that black tea contain Caffeine which can interfere with sleep. Avoid drinking caffeine within three hours of bed.
- If you become an excessive lover of tea, space for all your tea can become a bit of an issue. Ensure you have made a room somewhere in your kitchen and stuck to limits.
- Black Tea is only fresh for a limited amount of time. Ensure you are not drinking a stale tea and ensure you have consumed the oldest tea ahead of the fresher teas. By buying less tea, you will avoid the scenario of buying more tea that will lead to stale tea.
- If you have troubles with sleeping patterns, avoid caffeine past 4 pm in the afternoon, including taking no more than 1 cup of tea a day.
- Drinking more than three cups of tea per day may cause sleep and dental problems.
- Consult your doctor first before adopting any new diet plan into your daily meal consumption. With any new diet and fitness plan, consult with your doctor first. Each requires different requirements, so be responsible and find out your requirement.
- Some black tea may be harmful to some group of people, so be sure to know the content if the tea you are drinking. Ensure to avoid drinking tea made from comfrey, which has Pyrrolizidine alkaloids, known for harming the liver.
- Internal consumption of comfrey is banned in many countries.
Though the benefit of black tea in promoting healthy bones is a possibility, it is evident that caution should be taken while administering this remedy to promoting bone health. There have been widespread cases of increased heart rate, anxiety and worsening of ulcer cases. The best quantities one can take without interfering with other bodily processes is 3-5 cups or just take time and consult your doctor if you happen to experience any side effects. To further enhance the benefits of black tea, ensure you have consumed black tea without sugar and milk.