Let’s face it, how you look speaks for you before you even open your mouth to introduce yourself. So who needs acne to say all those nasty things about you? In America, acne rates as the top skin condition, affecting a whopping 50 million people per year! There are various factors that are known to cause acne but don’t lose hope…this article brings you 9 amazing tips that you can use to fight acne. But first things first…
What is Acne?
Acne is a chronic inflammatory disease that affects the skin’s oil glands. Your skin has small holes, scientifically known as pores, which connect to the oil glands found under the skin. They connect to the glands via a canal known as a follicle. There is oil inside the follicles which transports dead skin cells to the top part of the skin and thin hair also can grow through the follicle and to the external surface of the skin. When the oil and hair clog up the follicle, a pimple is formed. The types of pimples are white heads, black heads, papules, pustules, nodules or cysts.
Acne starts when the hair; the skin cells; and the oil – also known as the sebum – come together and form a plug. The plug contains bacteria which cause swelling and when it breaks down it causes a pimple to grow. Acne can be found on the face, back, neck, shoulders and also the chest. Although acne is not a severe health hazard, it leaves acne-scars on the affected parts.
There is no one factor of acne, nor is the cause of it really understood, but there are definitely things we can point to which either cause or aggravate acne. Here are some of them:
- Heredity: If your parents had it, you probably will have it too.
- Hormones: Teenagers experience hormonal increase and this promoted the formation of acne. In pregnant women, the hormone changes also factor in the formation of acne. Birth control pills contain hormones too so when you start or stop taking them, acne can develop.
- Medications: Some kinds of medicine can cause acne.
- Oily makeup: As much as makeup is supposed to help you, be careful it does not become the root of your skin problems.
- Diet: Foods that contain a high glycemic index (GI) worsen acne. A study by Whitney Bowe confirms the link between diet and acne.
Almost everyone in their lifetime will have acne and now that we know some of the factors, let’s look at what can be done.
9 Vegan and natural solutions to acne
You know the saying “you are what you eat”? Being a vegan means not eating meat, dairy, and eggs. It also means no acne! Well maybe it’s not the ultimate solution but it sure lessens the chances of getting it and if you already have it, being vegan makes it more bearable. So what do vegans eat? You should stick to a diet that has more raw food such as your fruit and vegetables as these provide your body, and skin, with water, nutrients, and antioxidants that will help detox your skin. Eating multi-grain bread, peanuts, beans etc. ensures a low GI diet which also helps deal with acne.
There are also natural home remedies you can use to fight acne. Here are the 9 tips, in no particular order:
- Go vegan! But if you are already on this route then also try the following tips.
- Mix honey, nutmeg and cinnamon: Add 1 teaspoon of honey, 1 teaspoon of grounded nutmeg and another teaspoon of grounded cinnamon. Mix them until they form a paste then apply on your face and leave it there for half an hour or more then wash off with warm water. Apply moisturizer afterwards as normal.
- Acne facial oils: Visit this link to see how you can make your own facial oils.
- Apple Cider Vinegar Toner: Buy organic, unpasteurized and unfiltered apple cider vinegar and pour about a tablespoon of it in a container. Dilute it in filtered water and usually the ratios of 1:3 parts is used but if your skin is sensitive then add more water as desired. Pour a small amount of the mixture on a cotton ball then apply to your skin. Wait for it to dry then use any lotion.
- Honey Cleanse: In the morning, dampen your fingers and massage about half a teaspoon of raw honey over your dry face and rinse afterwards.
- Coconut Oil Moisturizer: That’s it really, just moisturize your skin with coconut oil and stop with the expensive creams.
- Limit or completely stop using skin products:This may sound drastic but try it for about a month and see if you will notice a difference.
- Use Natural Skincare Products: Completely going off makeup can make a big difference but if that is too much to ask then use products that will not harm your skin. So go for the safe natural, organic and vegan products.
- Banana mask: Get an overripe banana, mash it up and spread it all over your face. Leave it on for 25-30 minutes then rinse off with warm water.
We have covered the basics of what acne is and how you get it and most importantly – ways to get rid of acne. Acne does not only affect your skin but it lowers your self-esteem as a person so if there is a way to avoid/treat it then I’d recommend trying all options.