Magical elixir to stay young forever and fountain of youth exist only in Disney movies, but it doesn’t mean you’re out of solutions to look younger. Let’s face it, everyone wants to look younger but we always assume youthful appearance requires a lot of money and expensive surgeons that celebrities go to in order to achieve “natural look”. Nope, this article isn’t about those expensive treatments, it’s about something better – easy tips to look younger in an entirely natural manner. Simple lifestyle adjustments can help you look ten years younger and feel more confident. Keep reading to find out more.
What habits make you look younger?
If you were to Google how to get younger skin, you’d find a bunch of solutions and some of them are potentially harmful. The first and most important thing you can do is to adopt habits that make you look younger. Yes, choices you make on a daily basis influence the appearance of your skin. Without a further ado, here are habits that will help you have a healthy, youthful, and radiant skin.
Start your mornings with tea, not coffee
Can’t imagine starting your day with a nice cup of coffee? Tea may be a better option for your skin, particularly white tea. A study whose findings were published in the BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine discovered that drinking white tea decreases a person’s risk of rheumatoid arthritis, cancer, and age-associated wrinkles. Seriously! White tea contains enzymes that protect the body from enzymes which break down elastin fibers and collagen. Elastin and collagen work together to keep skin firm and elastic, crucial for a youthful appearance.
Ditch sweets, eat fruits and vegetables
Okay, this is probably one of the most common tips to look younger, but many still neglect it thinking their food doesn’t affect skin appearance at all. If you have sweet tooth or a habit to consume candies and sweets on a daily basis, consider limiting or avoiding them in favor of fruits and vegetables. The reason is simple; too much sugar contributes to premature aging.
The journal Age featured a study which revealed that increased blood sugar levels in participants ages 50-70 made them appear five to seven months older. Your skin needs different vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients to stay youthful and healthy. It can’t get those healthy compounds from sweets. On the other hand, fruits and vegetables are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, that prevent or reduce oxidative damage and ensure your skin remains healthy.
Don’t forget your sunscreen
Sunscreen is one of the most misunderstood products. We always assume sunscreen is for vacation on the beach. But, you should apply it whenever you’re heading out regardless of the season. Sun’s UV rays are always active and penetrate your skin to break down collagen and elastin. The faster appearance of wrinkles isn’t the only reason to apply sunscreen regularly, don’t forget about skin cancer as well. When you are using sunscreen at the same time you can also look forward to the aging cream such as Obagi Elastiderm Eye Cream.
Sunscreen provides different benefits to users. Not only does it prevent skin cancer, but it also exhibits anti-aging effects i.e. it prevents photo-aging caused by the sun, according to the study from the Annals of Internal Medicine.
Don’t wait to feel thirsty in order to drink water, by that time your body already experiences some symptoms of dehydration. Drinking enough water throughout the day is one of the most important healthy habits to adopt if you’re wondering how to get younger skin. It’s simple; water you drink during the day improves circulation and prevents the decrease of skin repair.
One study discovered that drinking 500ml (milliliters) of water is strongly associated with enhanced blood flow through skin capillaries. This shouldn’t be such a surprise. After all, skin contains about 30% of water, which is responsible for its plump and refreshed appearance. That’s why those who don’t drink enough water have a dull and lifeless complexion.
A sedentary lifestyle is bad for your waistline, health, and skin altogether. It’s time to make healthy habits and start exercising, your skin will thank you for it. A study presented at the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine annual meeting showed that exercising about three times a week changes the body and reverses skin age. Regular physical activity prevents thinning of the dermis and thickening of stratum corneum, thus making you look visibly younger. Plus, exercise flushes toxins out of your skin, reduces stress, promotes sleep, all of which are great anti-aging methods.
This is an exciting way to get younger-looking skin and improve your relationship with significant other.
Scientists explain that regular sex can make you look seven years younger, which is absolutely amazing.
Sexual intercourse causes the release of human growth hormone and one of its numerous effects is improved elasticity of the skin.
Get enough sleep
A research whose findings were presented at the International Investigative Dermatology meeting in Edinburgh, Scotland showed that sleep deprivation causes premature skin aging. Lack of sleep also causes unevenness of the skin and fine lines. Basically, not getting enough sleep speeds up aging process and hampers the skin’s ability to repair itself. Establish a regular sleep pattern and you’ll notice improvements in your skin.
What habits make you look older?
While it’s important to adopt habits that make you look younger, you should also ditch those unhealthy habits that age you. These tips to look younger revolve around habits that are bad for your skin and add years to your appearance. Here they are:
- Avoiding sunscreen – As explained above, sunscreen is your trusted ally in a war against aging.
- Neglecting your hands and neck – Just like face, face and neck are constantly exposed to the sun and other environmental factors and need proper care.
- Going to bed without removing makeup – This is a common mistake that clogs your pores, leads to ace, speeds up aging, and induces dull complexion.
- Lack of sleep – In short-run, lack of sleep causes dark circles around your eyes and lifeless appearance, in long-run sleep deprivation speeds up aging.
Other unhealthy habits to avoid:
- Drinking too much alcohol
- Ignoring stress instead of managing it
- Eating junk food and sweets
- Lack of daily skincare routine
Which hormones make you look younger?
When you’re trying to learn how to get younger skin, the chances are high you won’t come across the importance of hormonal balance for your appearance. After all, hormones regulate all sorts of processes inside our body and it comes as no wonder they can either accelerate or slow down skin aging, depending on whether they’re in check or fluctuating. Here are the hormones that can help you look younger:
- DHEA – Participates in sebum production. Remember, your skin needs its natural oils to stay nourished and youthful, without these oils, it would be dry. DHEA increases the production of collagen and enhances skin’s immunity, too.
- Estrogen – Decreased levels of estrogen can cause skin thinning and impair its elasticity, thus causing wrinkling and sagging. In addition, estrogen boosts hyaluronic acid and makes your skin stay moist.
- Human growth hormone (hGH) – Produced by the pituitary gland to support growth in childhood and organ and tissue maintenance throughout your life. As you age, production of hGH declines but it is possible to buy supplements that support sufficient levels of the hormone. One effect of declining levels of the hormone is sagging skin and impaired cell repair.
- Melatonin – Throughout the post, we’ve mentioned the importance of good night’s rest and this is the hormone that makes it happen. This particular hormone can also neutralize inflammation and oxidative damage to delay aging process
- Progesterone – Essential for skin elasticity and circulation. This hormone is responsible for that pregnancy glow. Declining levels of this hormone make your skin appear dull and lacking luster.
Every person wants to look like the best version of himself/herself and that is perfectly okay. While we can’t stop aging, there are many tips to look younger that can help us have a more youthful appearance. This post featured habits that you should adopt and avoid as well as hormones that influence your skin’s health; it’s time for you to turn these tips into action. Even adding anti wrinkle creams in your daily habit may give you a radiant skin. Good luck.