Anyone who is trying to start an anti-aging regimen will be surprised at the broad line of available anti-aging products available in the market today. From creams to cleansers and makeups, “anti-aging” is the new buzz word. So, if you’re wondering where (and when) to start your anti-aging beauty regimen, it pays to be informed about what makes each product different before running straight to your beauty bar and be overwhelmed by the wide variety of products available.
What are Anti-Aging Products?
Anti-aging products are special formulations designed to keep lines and folds from showing on your skin, and even stave off several years of skin damage to make your skin more supple and younger-looking. Anti-aging products are infused with one or more of a wide array of active ingredients that promote healthy skin. Some of the active ingredients most often infused in anti-aging products are listed below.
- Sun Protection Factor (SPF): When searching for any daytime anti-aging product, always look for one that contains an SPF of at least 30 or, make up for the loss or shortcoming by applying a separate broad spectrum sunscreen. The sun is the primary factor that causes your skin to age so it is in your best interest to block out the sun from reaching your skin as much as you can.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Products containing hyaluronic acid help capture and lock in moisture.
- Alpha- and Beta- Hydroxy Acids: These beauty ingredients gently lift old and damaged top layer of the skin, flushes it out, and stimulate the resurfacing of newer, younger skin to replace it.
- Retinoids: These are derived from Vitamin A. Apart from protecting your skin from damage, retinoids can also reverse signs of aging. Watch your fine lines and wrinkles vanish with regular, prolonged use.
At What Age Should Women Look For Anti-Aging Products?
Women age differently. Thus, there is no single recommended age when a woman must start an anti-aging regimen, except that prevention should be a priority. Therefore, wearing sunscreen as early as the teenage years is recommended to prevent sun damage which may not be immediately apparent and hidden underneath the skin.
Generally speaking, you must be under an anti-aging regimen as soon as you reach mid-20s. If your family has a history of developing wrinkles early, you may have to start your anti-aging regimen sooner. Regardless of what age you start, you always start with preventive products like sunscreens. Reserve products containing ingredients that peel or reverse signs of aging for when you’re older because such ingredients cause skin thinning and dryness which promote skin aging even more if taken too soon.
Types of Anti-Aging Products
The vast availability of anti-aging products can overwhelm you if you don’t know where to start and what exactly it is you need. Start by going back to the basic skincare regimen: Cleanse-Tone-Moisturize:
- Choose an Anti-Aging Cleanser: Facial wash containing alpha-hydroxy acids (AHA) like glycolic acid help keep your skin squeaky clean and radiant minus the skin irritations associated with stronger chemicals.
- Cleanse Pores Thoroughly with an Organic Toner: Enhance* your skin’s protection by applying an organic toner which contains higher levels of antioxidants than chemical- and alcohol-based toners. Antioxidants help protect your skin cells from the damaging effects of the sun’s UV rays, environmental pollution, and oxidative stress.
- Moisturize: Ideally, SPF should be incorporated in your daytime moisturizer, while a thicker plant-based moisturizer is generally recommended for night time use. Look for products that contain high levels of antioxidants, amino acids, and hyaluronic acid. Older women should look for ingredients that help reverse signs of aging like retinoids and co-enzyme Q10 (CoQ10, also known as ubiquinone). Be reminded that products infused with retinoids react with sun exposure and thus, must only be used at night.
Tips for Choosing The Anti-Aging Products That are Right for You
Since the anti-aging industry has grown into a global multi-billion dollar industry, a variety of products have been made widely available. There are some things you must consider when selecting your anti-aging beauty bottle:
- Know Your Skin Type: Before choosing any product, have a skin analysis done and understand your skin issues well.
- Read The Labels: Educate yourself about products you’re looking to try by reading user testimonials and reviews. Look up the manufacturer and make sure that the product has undergone a rigorous R&D process.
- Go Organic and Choose Non-Comedogenic Anti-Aging Products: Improving* the appearance of your aging skin must not come at the expense of developing allergies and acne. Stay clear of chemical- and alcohol-based products which can irritate and have long-term degrading effects to your skin. Always go for water-based and organic products as much as possible.
Don’t let anti-aging product manufacturers outsmart you. Be wise: know what skin issues you need to address so you know exactly what anti-aging products you need.