We are a culture obsessed with youth and beauty. With celebrities leading the way in invasive plastic surgery, peels and tucks, the standard of beauty seems to keep moving further and further from the attainable. Women, especially, think that the only way to stay looking beautiful is to have skin stretched and pulled into a wrinkleless mask.
The ugly truth is that as we age, skin does lose some of its lift and firmness and, although no woman is safe from the perils of father time, there are less invasive, painful, and risky ways to slow down the effects of time on the skin. Anti-wrinkle creams seem to be everywhere these days. From the drug store to the dermatologist's office, creams and serums aimed at fighting wrinkles are manufactured and marketed in abundance. However, with so many options, women may be unclear on what product is right for their skin. However, with a little understanding of why skin ages and how to stop it, finding the right anti-wrinkle cream can be as easy as a trip to the local drug store.
Why Does Skin Age?
Throughout the natural progression of a person's life, skin will begin to lose firmness and lift causing the skin to look older. At a basic level, skin ages because the connective tissues in the skin become weaker and does not allow skin to bounce back as quickly. This often happens as a result of aging coupled with the body producing less collagen and elastin, the key components of healthy, youthful looking skin. However, women often speed up the breakdown of collagen and elastin by exposing skin to harmful outside factors. Sun damage is a leading cause of aging because sun exposure wears down the connective bonds in the skin causing it to age more quickly. Smoking also ages skin by depriving the body of oxygen and inhibiting circulation.
How Do Anti-Wrinkle Creams Work?
Nelson Lee Novick, M.D., FACP, FAACS and Clinical Professor of Dermatology at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City states that different anti-wrinkle ingredients perform different functions on the skin and that several common ingredients have a proven record of success in fighting the signs or aging.
“Anti-aging creams work through different mechanisms, depending upon the particular agents contained in them. Certain ingredients have, however, stood the test of time. I generally recommend purchasing products containing these ingredients with a long and successful track record”, asserts Dr. Novick.
Clinically proven ingredients that have been effective in dramatically reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles are:
- Retinol - a vitamin A derivative, which stimulates exfoliation and new cell production, stimulates collagen production and new blood vessel formation, to make the skin brighter, more lustrous and less wrinkled.
- Hyaluronic acid - Helps moisturize, hydrate and plump up skin, diminishing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Acetyl Hexapeptide – 8 (Argireline) – Helps to relax facial tension and reduce wrinkles immediately. It deters the degeneration of collagen and elastin, smoothes the skin and reduces the depth of lines and wrinkles.
- Palmitoyl Oligopeptide and Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide – 7 – Research has proven that these peptides stimulate collagen production and growth of connective tissue. As effective as tretinoin but without the irritation.
- Syn-Ake – The efficacy of the SYN-AKE reduces muscle cell contraction and its action having a smoothing and anti-wrinkle effect decreasing wrinkle depth up to 52% of wrinkle size.
When it comes to caring for our skin it is extremely important to use a product that contains high quality ingredients with a proven track record for being effective in reducing fine lines and winkles. The essential ingredients in any product will increase skin hydration, boost and stimulate collagen production, reduce free radical damage caused by overexposure to sun, and dramatically improve your skin's texture and firmness. A great wrinkle cream will reverse the affects of aging and make your skin younger and more vibrant looking.
It is a fact that signs of skin aging will eventually affect every person. To help you delay this as long as possible, you have to choose a wrinkle cream very carefully, since most products are not really effective. To make it easy for you to choose the best wrinkle cream, we have evaluated the top products on the market. Below are the best products on the market rated according to the effectiveness and safety of the ingredients.